Monday 5 May 2014

Recipe: Vegan Pea Soup with Vegetables

This and varieties of this recipe is the thing that I usually make when I am really broke, as it's cheap and very nutritious. I sometimes make lentil soup instead of pea soup, but that depends on whether I have lentils or peas in the house. I usually make a big pan and eat it a couple of days for breakfast or lunch.
I usually stock up on lentils and peas when I have money so I can always make this soup with whatever veggies I have in my fridge! It fills you up like crazy.
Healthy food gives me more energy and makes me feel better so this is definitely 'happy food'!

This is what I made today:

Needed for a pan:
- 250g dried peas
- a zucchini
- two bell peppers
- tomato paste
- 3 tomatoes
- an onion
- Spices. I used cinnamon, chilli powder and yellow curry powder.
- Herbs. I prefer fresh herbs from my garden - I used oregano, rosemary and thyme.
- Optional: hemp seeds and rye bread

Chop the onion and add it with the peas to a pan of boiling water and let simmer for 45 minutes. Chop the zucchini and the bell peppers and add them to your pan. Let simmer for fifteen minutes, then add the (chopped) tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs and spices. Blend it all until nice and smooth.
Serve with rye bread and sprinkle with hemp seeds!
The soup is gluten and lactose free. The rye bread is not gluten free so if you're following a gluten-free diet, use a safe substitute! :)


Love,
Jopie




No comments:

Post a Comment